25,000,000 Bible searches can’t be wrong.
BibleGateway.com is my favourite site for sourcing Bible verses from multiple translations.
The people at BibleGateway.com beat me to the punch.
They thought it would be interesting to find out which verses were searched the most. So they crunched some numbers from a (relatively) small sample of 25 million Bible passage searches from March and April 2014.
Their list considered instances in which BibleGateway.com users looked at three or fewer verses at one time.
If you’re curious to know what the least popular Bible passage is, it’s 1 Chronicles 23-27, which details the organization of the priests and officials under King David.
The top 10 most-searched Bible verses on BibleGateway.com (all verses quoted from the NIV):
1. John 3:16: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
2. Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
3. Romans 8:28: “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”
4. Philippians 4:13: “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”
5. Genesis 1:1: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”
6. Proverbs 3:5: “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.”
7. Proverbs 3:6: “In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.”
8. Romans 12:2: “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
9. Philippians 4:6: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”
10. Matthew 28:19: “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”
If these were the ONLY Bible verses available to you, what could the Top 10 reveal to you about God?
7 Observations on the Top 10 Verses
1. From John 3:16 you would know the character of God and the real meaning of Christmas.
God loves to give. When He gives, He gives His best.
God gave His Son, Jesus.
Whoever believes in Him will find what they are looking for – life – eternal life.
2. From Genesis 1:1 you would know the origins of the Universe.
God is the “Big” in the “Big Bang Theory.”
God is the Creator and all things were created by Him.
3. From Proverbs 3:5,6 you would know that trusting God completely is your wisest choice in life.
Your life will advance at the speed of trust.
Trusting God straightens out the twists and turns of life.
4. From Romans 12:2 you would know that God’s ways are pleasing, perfect and good.
Follow God’s ways and they’ll keep you from getting bent out of shape.
5. From Matthew 28:19 you would know your purpose as a Christian.
A Christian is called to share the good news of Jesus with others and help them grow a personal relationship with Jesus.
6. From Jeremiah 29:11 and Romans 8:28 you would know that your future with God is going to be good.
Even if the future turns bad, there is hope for good – if not on this earth, in eternity.
7. From Philippians 4:6 and 4:13 you would know that worrying is a waste.
Praying to God about everything, with an attitude of expectation and gratitude, works wonders.
Trusting God for His help will enable you to accomplish more than you ever thought possible.
Bonus Observation: Philippians has more per capita favourite verses in the Top Ten than any other book in the Bible.
Philippians is a short read.
Why not read it today? It starts with the words, “Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ.”
Grace and peace you- that’s what the Bible is tops at giving.
APPLICATION: Please leave a comment below. Thank you.
Subscribe to “Pointes of View” by signing up here.