The city I live in, Edmonton, Alberta, faces severe cold and sweltering heat. (Some Edmontonians may disagree on the heat side.) What got my attention was the difference in distance between the earth and the sun in winter vs summer. The difference is only a measly 3%. Three percent is all it takes to create miserable – -40C windchill – and amazing – +30 humidex reading.
What is a “3% difference” that can change your world?
1. Adjust your focus. Focus on the permanent, rather than the temporary. The winter snow is temporary. The changing of the seasons is permanent. Life is like the seasons. We have our winters, summers, springs and falls. If you are in the winter of your life know that spring will come again.
2. The permanent is the steadfast love of God which never fails.
* Experiencing God’s love creates a confidence that nothing can separate you from God.
* You will have an assurance that God’s grace is sufficient for you to face any situation.
* Trusting God’s grace creates a courage to believe that all things are working together for the your good.
* You will experience a peace that passes all understanding.
3. Lean into, not away from the Son. Winter has its sunny days, but even the “winter” sun cannot melt the snow because the earth is leaning away from the sun on its axis. Focusing on the permanent is like “leaning into the Son.” Lean into Jesus through prayer.
4. Trade the “what if’s” for the “I promise’s.” God’s promises are permanent. You can count on them. Heather Abbott, was at the Boston Marathon in 2012 and was hit by the second bomb blast. She had one of her legs amputated. I can’t begin to imagine the trauma she went through. Heather’s secret to moving forward? She doesn’t dwell on the “what ifs.” “What if I had arrived five minutes earlier. I did that for a little while, but this is the situation I’m faced with, it’s not going to change.”
“What if’s” are like snow. They melt away. Face the reality of difficulty through the reality of God’s provision.
“I will never leave you or forsake you.”
“My God shall supply all my needs through Jesus.”
“With God all things are possible.”
QUESTION: 3% makes a big difference. Where are you focused – the permanent or the temporal?