26 Beyond you leadership quotes from Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Laura Schroff.
Honouring Nelson Mandela – Archbishop Desmond Tutu
1. Nelson Mandela is the best place to start a discussion about selfless leadership.
2. Mandela’s extraordinariness can be put down to one word: magnanimity.
3. Mandela emerged from 27 years in prison with a freedom from anger.
4. Mandela displayed no spite, no resentment.
5. Mandela understood the recipe required to transform South Africa without violence.
6. A person is a person through other persons.
7. I need others to help me become person.
8. Regardless of your status it is an inescapable fact that we are made for each other.
9. We are made for dependent one on another.
10. I am because of you. We are brothers and sisters of one family.
11. If you are neutral in situations of injustice you have chosen the side of the oppressor.
12. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
Beyond You Moments – Laura Schroff
11. “Excuse me lady, do you have any spare change, I’m hungry?” The question that would change my life.
12. Maurice Mazyck, and I were destined to meet – September 1, 1986 – on the corner of 56th Street and Broadway in New York City.
13. Maurice was an 11 year-old-panhandler, homeless and scruffy begging for change so he could eat. I passed him by…and then came back.
14. Maurice thought my kindness came with a price.
15. Our bond grew over a quarter of a century.
16. The best way you can find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.
17. Having a trusted friend, for children like Maurice, is not always a part of their hard, complicated world.
18. Lunch in a brown paper means: “Someone cares about me.” The bag is paper. What is put inside is called love.
19. An amazing gift: How to see beyond my own self.
20. When you give kindness and expect absolutely nothing in return you can receive the most valuable gifts of all.
21. What brings me so much joy is how Maurice’s cycle has been broken – a life free of hunger, drugs and violence.
22. The beauty of life is that inside disappointments are hidden the most miraculous of blessings. What we lose and what we might have been pales against what we have.
23. If love is the greatest gift of all then the greatest privilege of all is to be able to love someone.
24. An invisible thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break.
APPLICATION: Which Statement stands out most to you?