What’s up with water baptism?
Why is being baptized so important?
4 Reasons Why Baptism is Important:
1. Public acknowledgement of Jesus is important to God. Jesus said, “Everyone who acknowledges me publicly here on earth, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.” Matthew 10:32 (NLT)
Water Baptism gives a Christian a singular opportunity to practice obedience, worship, and devotion to Jesus.
“I have decided to follow Jesus. No turning back.”
2. Baptism is for believers in Jesus Christ. At North Pointe we call it a “believer’s baptism” to distinguish it from infant baptism or christening.
Baptism doesn’t make a person into a Christian. New Testament baptisms occurred after a person became a Christian.
The pattern of baptism is believe and be baptized.
Baptism helps you identify with two significant experiences:
* Going under the water symbolizes Jesus’ death and burial and a believer’s death to sin’s control.
* Emergence from the water symbolizes Jesus’ resurrection and a believer’s new life in Christ.
We encourage children who have believed on Jesus to not wait until they are older to be baptized. With their parents approval and support, getting baptized is valuable experience for children to have.
The age of a person wanting to be baptized is not as important as knowing they need a Savior and that Jesus is the Savior.
3. Jesus told His followers to be baptized. Water Baptism provides an opportunity for every believer to publicly show they are following His leadership.
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit…” (Matthew 28:19, NIV)
4. Baptism was normative for every new believer in the New Testament. The first Christians thought it inconceivable that someone could profess faith in Jesus Christ and not be baptized – the two were inseparable.
Immediate baptism provided a rich explanation of God’s work in the life of the new believer. “But when they believed Philip as he preached the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.” (Acts 8:12, NIV)
That’s why there is a tank under the platform in the ministry centre. We fill it with water when we baptize believers. (An indoor tank is good especially in -35C Edmonton winters.)
Most of the time a pastor does the baptizing. Sometimes a parent will assist in baptizing their child. We’ve had whole families be baptized together.
We videotape each candidate’s story of becoming a believer and show the video before they are baptized.
Getting baptized? Invite your family and friends to witness and celebrate with you.
APPLICATION: Have you believed on Jesus? Have you been baptized in water as a believer? If not, give us call at 780-452-5566 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org We would be glad to help you take this next step in your journey of faith.
I write to inspire people to be real, grow an authentic faith in Jesus, enjoy healthy relationships and discover their life purpose. If this material is helpful to you, please follow me.
- Subscribe. I’ll put helpful content into your email box early Mondays and Thursdays, as well as upcoming events at North Pointe Community Church, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Follow on Twitter. I daily tweet info I think you’ll be interested in.
- Friend on Facebook. If you “like” my page, let me know you found me here.
- Connect on Linkedin. I like this because it reminds me what people think I’m good at.