There are lots of things in the Bible for you, including the power to change your thinking, your beliefs, your future, your health and your relationships.
FIVE REASONS TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE BIBLE
1. The Bible heals broken hearts. There’s a story of a rabbi who always told his people that if they studied the Torah, it would put Scripture ON their hearts. One of them asked, “Why on our hearts, and not in them?” The rabbi answered, “Only God can put Scripture inside. But reading sacred text can put it on your heart, and then when your hearts break, the holy words will fall inside.”
Psalm 107:20 (ESV) states, “God sent out His word and healed them and delivered them from their destruction.”
2. The Bible is unlike any other piece of written work. The Bible did not drop out of the sky from God – it was written by people. Before the Bible was a book it was flesh and blood.
The Bible was written by people who were inspired by God.
Biblical inspiration is not like being inspired to write a poem or a song.
Biblical inspiration claims to be “God-breathed.” (2 Timothy 3:16)
That’s a heavy claim. Think about it.
3. The Bible is timeless and reliable. Great pieces of literature may endure for centuries. The Bible is timeless. The words of the Bible are as life giving today as they were when they were first written.
“…the prophetic message is something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it…” (2 Peter 1:19)
4. The Bible is the story of God. From Genesis to Revelation, you can read the story of a God who creates, acts, speaks, listens and loves.
As much as the Bible is a story about God, it’s also a story about you – and all of us – as we encounter God in a personal way.
5. The Bible sheds light on human nature, world problems and human suffering. The Bible is not an answer book…but you can find answers for any life or world situation in the Bible.
God is never put off by questions but sometimes He answers by merely revealing Himself…that is answer enough.
The Book of Job is a great example. Job experienced the fulfillment of a large family and personal achievement. He was the wealthiest man alive. He also experienced some of the worst prolonged suffering. The phrase, “The patience of Job” comes from his life.
Job prayed to God for an answer to his suffering. Rather than an answer God revealed Himself to Job and that was more than answer enough.
At North Pointe we use the YouVersion App for daily Bible reading. Learn more here.
A COURSE ON THE BIBLE
I have developed a course called: “The Bible: What’s In It For Me?” The next 6 week course begins Thursday October 6, 2016 at North Pointe.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
- understand why the Bible is the most modern book in the world.
- gain a panoramic view of the Bible.
- become familiar with the major themes.
- have a greater interest in reading the Bible.
- become familiar with fourteen significant portions.
- gain more takeaways about Jesus from your reading.
$20 – includes course text – “The Handbook to the Bible”
APPLICATION: Enquire about the course by emailing email@example.com, leaving a comment below or calling 780-452-5566. Thank you.
I write to inspire people to be real, grow an authentic faith in Jesus, enjoy healthy relationships and discover their life purpose. If this material is helpful to you, please follow me.
- Subscribe. I’ll put helpful content into your email box on Mondays and Thursdays, as well as upcoming events at North Pointe Community Church, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Follow on Twitter. I daily tweet info I think you’ll be interested in.
- Friend on Facebook. If you “like” my page, let me know you found me here.
- Connect on Linkedin. I like this because it reminds me what people think I’m good at.