Without this ONE thing even the smallest tasks feel impossible.
Without this ONE thing couples give up on their marriage, parents give up on their teens, leaders give up on their people, people give up on their future.
You can live for 40 days without food, about 3 days without water, and about 8 minutes without air.
You don’t want to go a single second without this ONE thing.
The World Of Sports
I’ve coached football long enough to know that spectacular fourth quarter turnarounds happen. “All it takes is one break! All we need is one play! We’re one turnover away from a comeback! There’s time on the clock so we’ve still got a chance!”
Its late in the 2nd period of an NHL playoff hockey game. One team has dominated all game but their opponents are still hanging around. The coach of the team in the lead challenges his players on the bench, “Don’t give them any reason to hope.”
In 2003, when we were relocating our downtown church to “the frontier of NW Edmonton” we faced a ton of discouragement. For three years nothing worked in our favor. Favor, it seemed, had bought a ticket out of town.
Then, in January 2004 we held a prayer meeting seeking a breakthrough. The crowd was small. Nothing tangible occurred, other than prayer. We had prayed many times before.
But something did change that night.
We Found Hope
From that prayer time on we picked up momentum.
* City Council approved our construction application.
* We sold our excess land.
* A buyer came forward for our downtown property.
* We broke ground a year later and completed our facility fourteen months after that.
* It became easier and easier to envision better days ahead.
HOPE is the most important factor in anyone’s life.
When you have hope, anything is possible.
When you lose hope, you lose your ability to dream for the future.
When hope enters everything changes.
Three Things Hope Does
1. Hope motivates. Every successful person I know has come back from setbacks. I’ve been on the comeback trail a couple of times. Hope helps you bounce back.
Hope focuses on what can be rather than what is.
Trust Jesus who was raised from the dead – the ultimate comeback.
2. Hope initiates. Hope sets you free to dream. Dreams build momentum. Momentum attracts support. Support leads to the fulfillment of dreams.
Persevere, so that when you have done the will of God you will receive what He has promised.
3. Hope liberates. Hope releases you from your fears. You have reason to believe that tomorrow will be better than yesterday.
God will send His word and heal you. Find a chapter in the Bible or even one verse to hold on to.
A young man shared recently with me that what gave him inner strength was reading Psalm 91 out loud every morning. He became so familiar with the passage, he memorized it and was able to meditate on the words during the day.
This can be your beginning of enjoying the power of hope.
APPLICATION: What have you learned about hope? Please leave a comment below. Thank you.
I write to inspire people to be real, grow an authentic faith in Jesus, enjoy healthy relationships and discover their life purpose. If this material is helpful to you, please follow me.
- Subscribe. I’ll put helpful content into your email box on Mondays and Thursdays, as well as upcoming events at North Pointe Community Church, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Follow on Twitter. I daily tweet info I think you’ll be interested in.
- Friend on Facebook. If you “like” my page, let me know you found me here.
- Connect on Linkedin. I like this because it reminds me what people think I’m good at.