Most wrote from memory.
Some wrote from the New Testament they had just received, courtesy of the Gideons of Canada.
After sifting through hundreds of cards, I quickly concluded 3 things:
1. A wide variety of Old and New Testament verses mean something very special to people. I went through 38 cards before I found my first duplicate verse. There were literally 100’s of different favorites.
2. The most popular verses in this given sample were:
3. The Bible is a rich source of inspiration and direction for people at North Pointe. Many who wrote down their verse also recorded WHY the verses were meaningful to them. People have been through tough times and its been Bible verses that have sustained them.
RESPECT FOR THE BIBLE
Respect for the Bible is alive and well in the hearts and minds of young and old believers alike.
We gave out 1200 New Testaments on Sunday. Some people asked for additional copies to give out at work and to relatives or friends.
One family reported back that they have given their copy to a neighbor of 30 years. They shared how the gift started a conversation. It was the first spiritual conversation they have had with their neighbour in three decades. It was the beginning of something good.
One surprise for me was that Romans 15:13 was a favorite of more than one person. Its a rather obscure verse. The people who chose this as their favorite verse do not know each other. They are from different ethnic groups and age groups.
Romans 15:13 – “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust Him, so that you may overflow with the power of the Holy Spirit.”
One person wrote – “Romans 15:13 has had a huge impact on my life. I tend to worry at times and those times when I am super-worried I have remembered this verse. All I need to do is trust God and through Him is where I find peace.”
The Holy Spirit has been at work in making indelible impressions through Scripture on the hearts of people from diverse backgrounds – He will do the same for you.
THANKSGIVING AND PROBLEMS
Are you face to face with a challenge? A crisis? Needing direction?
The Bible is alive – its divinely inspired – “God-breathed.” The right verse at the right time will be a breath of fresh air for you.
One of the following verses can become a new favorite of yours because of how it will speak to you.
Romans 8:28 – “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them.
Psalm 25:4 (NLT) – “Show me the path where I should go, point out the right road for me to walk.”
James 1:5 – “When troubles come your way consider it an opportunity for great joy.”
Genesis 18:14 – “I am the Lord; is there anything too hard for me.”
APPLICATION: What is your favorite verse? Please leave a comment below.
I write to inspire people to be real, grow an authentic faith in Jesus, enjoy healthy relationships and discover their life purpose. If this material is helpful to you, please follow me.
- Subscribe. I’ll put helpful content into your email box on Mondays and Thursdays, as well as upcoming events at North Pointe Community Church, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Follow on Twitter. I daily tweet info I think you’ll be interested in.
- Friend on Facebook. If you “like” my page, let me know you found me here.
- Connect on Linkedin. I like this because it reminds me what people think I’m good at.