Life is a journey filled with lessons, hardships, heartaches, joys, celebrations and encounters that will lead you to your ultimate purpose. The journey is far from being smooth.
Along the path you will come face to face with the forces of good and evil.
The Bible describes these forces as The Kingdom of Light and The Kingdom of Darkness. (Colossians 2:10-12)
The journey to purpose is navigated by faith.
1. You start the journey as an EXPLORER. At some point you begin to understand that there is more to this world than what can be touched or seen. It may begin as a child’s curiosity about the unseen. It may start as an adult who becomes aware of powerful forces around her and within her that influence behaviors and attitudes.
You ask questions:
“Why am I on earth?”
“What is the meaning of life?”
“Is there more to life than meets the eye?”
“What happens after death?”
The obvious answers are sometimes the hardest of all to see.
The Kingdom of Darkness
Everyone is born under the power of the “Kingdom of Darkness.” George Lukas envisioned this power as “the Dark Side” of The Force in Star Wars. Every culture on earth has typified evil in some way.
The Bible calls this power “sin” – the power that causes hatred, hurt, wars, murder, divorce, abuse, addiction, etc.
Coming to this realization is to stand on the edge of the next step in the journey.
The Kingdom of Light
Entering the Kingdom of Light begins with recognizing that you cannot bring lasting change to yourself or to the world – you need a Savior. Someone outside of yourself who is perfect, loving, all powerful, holy and gracious.
Jesus came into the world to be the Savior. You may know this in your head. Bring it to your heart. Cross the faith line by deciding to come as you are to Jesus and and trust Him as your God and Savior.
2. Jesus invites Explorers to believe on Him and become a NEW FOLLOWER. You have, as Jesus said, “been born again.” Following Jesus is not religion – its having a personal relationship with Him. Life takes on a new meaning. You experience forgiveness and can offer forgiveness.
Even the hurts and habits in your life change – they are no longer obstacles to happiness but catalysts for joy and strength. Jesus promises to “work all things together for good.”
3. As your beliefs and behavior become increasingly influenced by what God says you become a GROWING FOLLOWER. Your knowledge of Jesus grows through prayer; listening to Him; reading and applying the Bible to your life; opening your Spirit completely to the Holy Spirit.
4. Living to please God makes you a CHRIST-CENTRED FOLLOWER. The hub of a wheel is a helpful illustration of how to live for God. Rather than putting Jesus at the top of a priority list, He is at the center of all your priorities. Your relationships, finances, sexuality, career, emotions, health and everything else – have Jesus at their center.
“Live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way.” Colossians 1:10
This is the way to “please God in all you do.”
QUESTION: Where are you on the journey? Explorer? New Follower? Growing Follower? Christ-Centred Follower? Please leave a comment below.
I write to inspire people to be real, grow an authentic faith in Jesus, enjoy healthy relationships and discover their life purpose. If this material is helpful to you, please follow me.
- Subscribe. I’ll put helpful content into your email box on Mondays and Thursdays, as well as upcoming events at North Pointe Community Church, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Follow on Twitter. I daily tweet info I think you’ll be interested in.
- Friend on Facebook. If you “like” my page, let me know you found me here.
- Connect on Linkedin. I like this because it reminds me what people think I’m good at.