A band of brave souls became known as one-way missionaries a century ago. They bought tickets to the mission field without the return half.
Instead of suitcases, they packed their few earthly belongings into coffins. As they sailed away, they waved goodbye to everyone they loved and all they knew, knowing they’d never return home.
Mark Batterson leaves no doubt about his opinion – “Jesus didn’t die to make us safe. He died to make us dangerous.”
Having Enough To Be Transformed
Batterson’s book All In is just that – an “all-your-chips” in the middle call for commitment for followers of Jesus.
All In examines the lives of biblical characters like Abraham, Noah, Elisha, and the rich young ruler of the New Testament; historical heroes like Joshua Chamberlain, Johann Bach and John Wesley and contemporary leaders like Michael and Mari Durso, and Bob Goff.
Batterson examines North American Christianity from a pastor’s perspective. He warns that believers can have “enough of Jesus to be informed but not enough to be transformed.”
His book is a call to transformation through consecration.
5 Things About Consecration
1. Consecration is “going all in and all out for the ALL in ALL.”
2. Consecration is following Jesus every day, in every way.
3. Consecration is a call to more – to risk more, sacrifice more and dream more.
4. Consecration means, “If Jesus is not Lord of all, He’s not Lord at all. There is no middle ground.”
5. Consecration is revolutionary. “You are one decision away from a totally different life.”
Are You Ready For Amazing?
The conclusion of Batterson’s book is an invitation to expect great things. He quotes one of the Old Testament leaders, Joshua – “Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the Lord will do amazing things among you.” (Joshua 3:5)
Are you ready for amazing?
All In is a good place to begin.
Same Page Initiative 2017
Every age group at North Pointe is invited to be on a “same page initiative” of commitment to Jesus. We’ll experience together on Sundays and in growth groups what it is to be All In.
Women’s Groups begin on Wednesday March 1st at 9:30am and 7:00pm. Home groups and age groups begin the last week of February.
APPLICATION: Purchase a copy of ALL IN and sign up for a growth group study at North Pointe or online.
I’m writing in order to help people grow their faith in Jesus, build strong relationships and make their leadership effective. If this material is helpful to you, please follow me.
- Subscribe. I’ll put helpful content into your email box on Mondays and Thursdays, as well as upcoming events at North Pointe Community Church, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Follow on Twitter. I daily tweet info I think you’ll be interested in.
- Friend on Facebook. If you “like” my page, let me know you found me here.
- Connect on Linkedin. I like this because it reminds me what people think I’m good at.