Fulghum got me thinking about where many people like me had their first introduction to Easter – in a Sunday School.
Life Lessons I Learned in Sunday School
1. Love is spelled “O-T-H-E-R-S.” Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
2. Giants are no problem for God.
3. Running from God usually means you wind up in the belly of a big fish.
4. A fiery furnace or a lion’s den are scary places where God shows up.
5. When our friends are sick we should take them to Jesus, even if we have to lower them through a roof.
6. Jesus can do a whole lot with very little because he is God. You can’t believe what he can do with a little boy’s lunch.
7. Jesus died for me and His tomb is empty.
Head Knowledge and Heart Knowledge
I’m grateful that asking hard questions or having sincere doubts was never seen as inappropriate actions for me in our family or Sunday School.
My teachers encouraged me to see Jesus as more than the correct answer in a Bible quiz but as a person I could have a relationship with.
Christianity goes beyond head knowledge to heart knowledge – a personal belief and relationship with Jesus.
The Garden Tomb 2015
Recently on a trip to Israel our tour group visited the Garden Tomb, believed to be the place of Jesus’ burial.
As I entered the tomb I was overcome by an emotion that surprised me. Even if this wasn’t the ACTUAL tomb of Jesus it was like the tomb in which his crucified body was laid.
The tomb was hewn from rock. Compact. Cold. Empty.
The emptiness is what makes Easter significant.
1. Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so.
2. Little ones to him belong.
3. They are weak but he is strong.
4. Yes, Jesus loves me.
5. He’s got the whole world in his hands.
6. Jesus died on the Cross on Good Friday. Jesus died for me…that’s why its “good.”
7. His tomb is empty because Jesus is alive!
8. Asking Jesus into your life is the miraculous start of being a Christian.
9. Look up. Jesus is coming again. Soon!
10. Heaven is real.
APPLICATION: Celebrate Easter at North Pointe at this Good Friday’s Family service at 10:00am.
Saturday at 4:00pm for a Children’s Easter Egg Hunt;
Hear North Pointe’s Rock Choir Sunday 9:30am, 11:00am and 12:30pm.
I write to inspire people to be real, grow an authentic faith in Jesus, enjoy healthy relationships and discover their life purpose. If this material is helpful to you, please follow me.
- Subscribe. I’ll put helpful content into your email box on Mondays and Thursdays, as well as upcoming events at North Pointe Community Church, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Follow on Twitter. I daily tweet info I think you’ll be interested in.
- Friend on Facebook. If you “like” my page, let me know you found me here.
- Connect on Linkedin. I like this because it reminds me what people think I’m good at.