You and I may disagree on what or who is beautiful, but we can agree there is beauty all around us. You don’t have to look far or hard to see it.
Where does beauty come from?
What is the purpose of beauty?
Could we live without beauty?
In “Home Behind The Sun,” authors Tim Willard and Jason Locy offer perspective-changing insights about beauty.
This eclectic mix of essays sees beauty being lived out in raising a family, making a marriage work, advancing the causes of justice or contexts from the mundane to the mysterious.
19 Insights To The Beauty Of Life
1. The forms of beauty we behold point to something else – the thing behind “the thing.”
2. Its not really “the thing” we desire at all. We see beauty and we long for God.
3. “The sweetest thing in all my life has been the longing to find the place where all the beauty came from.” C. S. Lewis
4. Beauty is hope; the cause of goose bumps.
5. Beauty is the overwhelming feeling of awe.
6. No matter how dark our world, no matter how many shadows cast their despair on us, beauty remains.
7. Take away all the colors of the rainbow and you won’t get darkness; you get pure and radiant white. No matter how hard you try to black it out, light seeps through the cracks.
8. No matter how much pain and suffering rise to conquer us, God overwhelms them, causing good to come from even the blackest circumstances.
9. People possess arguably the most arresting beauty on the planet. People not only look beautiful, but we can express beauty through kind actions, a soft heart or even a forgiving tone.
10. When we find innocence we find beauty afresh.
11. Our souls were made to run on the practice of worship, law-keeping, truthfulness, honesty, discipline, self-control, and service to God and others which is beauty.
12. When we live contrary to our designed purpose, we dry up and lose the capacity for beauty.
13. Its easy to focus on the brokenness and miss the beauty – to get hung up on the “what-if” of a situation.
14. We all enjoy something pleasing to the eye; it can move and convert your heart to new thought, new faith and new horizons. This is the artist’s job.
15. Songs, like poetry and prose, possess a beautiful quality even though we can’t always physically see it.
16. Beauty is in the brilliance of the everyday – in innocence, forgiveness, physicality, deformity, art, music, mathematics, relationships and more.
17. Beauty is that surprising clarity that arrests and liberates our attention, evoking awe and wonder and opening us to the eternal.
18. God is beauty and beauty is love.
19. God makes everything beautiful in its own time.
APPLICATION: What is beauty to you? Please comment below.
I was given a free copy of this book to review by BookLook Bloggers.
I write to inspire people to be real, grow an authentic faith in Jesus, enjoy healthy relationships and discover their life purpose. If this material is helpful to you, please follow me.
- Subscribe. I’ll put helpful content into your email box on Mondays and Thursdays, as well as upcoming events at North Pointe Community Church, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Follow on Twitter. I daily tweet info I think you’ll be interested in.
- Friend on Facebook. If you “like” my page, let me know you found me here.
- Connect on Linkedin. I like this because it reminds me what people think I’m good at.