He was once a 35-year old derelict, alcoholic, who planned to spend his last dollars on a gun so he could kill himself. Ten years later he had become a multi-millionaire after selling over 50 million books including his most popular, “The Greatest Salesman in the World.”
Og Mandino summed up the principles that transformed his life in what he called, “A Better Way to Live.”
1. Count your blessings.
2. Today, and every day, deliver more than you are getting paid to do.
3. Whenever you make a mistake or get knocked down by life, don’t look back at it too long.
4. Always reward your long hours of labour in the very best way, surrounded by your family.
5. Build today on a foundation of healthy thoughts.
6. Let your actions always speak for you, but be forever on guard against the traps of false pride and conceit that can halt your progress.
7. Each day is a special gift from God – never allow the pains, hurdles, and handicaps of the moment to poison your attitude and plans for yourself.
8. Never again clutter your days or nights with so many menial and unimportant things that you have no time to accept a real challenge when it comes along.
9. Live this day as if it will be your last.
10. Extend to each person, no matter how trivial the contact, all the care, kindness, understanding and love that you can muster, and do it with no thought of any reward.
11. Laugh at yourself.
12. Never neglect the little things.
13. Welcome every morning with a smile.
14. You will achieve a grand dream, a day at a time, so set goals for each day.
15. Never allow anyone to rain on your parade and cast a pall of gloom and defeat on the entire day.
QUESTION: It takes 60 seconds to read these principles. It takes focus to apply them. Which one stood out to you as most important for you to apply today?