A good book makes a great companion whether you’re catching some rays on the deck or enjoying some well-deserved down time at the beach.
Here are 12 picks from people at North Pointe for your summer reading list.
1. “Miracles Are For Real: What Happens When Heaven Touches Earth” – Connie Dean’s pick – Are you interested in knowing more about miracles? You’ll find honest, trustworthy, inspiring information that will boost your faith. The book, brilliantly written by Jim Garlow, intersperses real, true-life accounts of miracles with commentary on the reality of miracles, how to define them, why miracles take place.
2. “No Greatness Without Goodness” – Bob’s pick – I’m reading this page-turner now. Its an inspiring story of a senior VP at Walgreens, Randy Lewis, who bet’s his career on making the world a better place for pe0ple with disabilities. Randy writes from a deep Christian faith and illustrates his principles with personal stories of his experiences with Jesus.
3. “Miss Kay’s Duck Commander Kitchen” – Terry Berg’s pick – Summer is the time when cooks get out of the kitchen but this book will serve up some great suggestions for Fall and Winter. Hey, you may just love the recipes so much you won’t be able to last through summer without trying one. Available in NP’s bookstore.
4. “All In” – Sean Morton’s pick – Mark Batterson serves as the lead pastor of National Community Church in Washington, D. C. Recognized as “one of America’s 25 most innovative churches.” Mark shares stories from personal experience as well as Biblical examples of what happens when people of faith go all in. Available in NP’s bookstore.
5. “Hands Free Mama” – Terry Berg’s Pick – A practical guide to putting down the phone, burning the “to-do-list” and letting go of perfection. Rachel Stafford is a young mom of two. Her blogsite, “Hands Free Moma” attracts over 1,000,000 visitors each month. Available in NP’s Bookstore.
6. “Hind’s Feet on High Places” – Joy Young’s pick – This is a classic. Over 2 million people can’t be wrong. Its a timeless allegory dramatizing the desire to be led to new heights of love, joy, and faith.
7. “Unstoppable: The Incredible Power of Faith in Action” – Linda Winick’s pick – This is Nick Vujicic’s second book. Despite being born without arms or legs, Nick’s challenges have not kept him from enjoying life. He has overcome hardships by focusing on the promises that he was created for a unique and specific purpose.
8. “The Prodigal God” – Jocelyn Jones’ pick – If you love C.S. Lewis’ writings, you find a new favourite in Tim Keller. Keller is the founding pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City. He offers a whole new look at the story of the prodigal son and how it reveals the heart of God.
9. “The Normal Christian Life” – Rena Christianson’s pick – Another classic by an author you may never have heard of but need to know – Watchman Nee. The over one million copies in print have inspired Christians around the world with insights into the death and resurrection of Jesus.
10. “Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus” – Bob’s pick – How a fully devoted Muslim turned 180 degrees towards Jesus through the witness of a Christian friend. The Bible vs the Koran and how the inspired Scriptures were the tipping point that led to Nabeel Qureshi’s conversion to Christ.
11. “The Purpose Driven Life” – If you haven’t read this book, make sure you go cover to cover by September. This is the #1 best selling hardcover book of all time. It has the potential to do incredible good for you. It can start a new faith or grow your faith to maturity. Available in NP’s Bookstore.
12. “Ornament: The Faith, Joy and Hope of Kristen Fersovitch” – If you are good to go with Kindle or iBooks this inspiring story of a young woman from North Pointe and her courageous battle with cancer is for you. Illustrated with personal pictures from Kristen’s family and life at home during the Christmas season. All proceeds from sales of the book go to the Fersovitch Trust Fund.
Happy summer reading!
APPLICATION: What’s your favourite summer read? Please leave your comment below.
I write to inspire people to be real, grow an authentic faith in Jesus, enjoy healthy relationships and discover their life purpose. If this material is helpful to you, please follow me.
- Subscribe. I’ll put helpful content into your email box on Mondays and Thursdays, as well as upcoming events at North Pointe Community Church, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Follow on Twitter. I daily tweet info I think you’ll be interested in.
- Friend on Facebook. If you “like” my page, let me know you found me here.
- Connect on Linkedin. I like this because it reminds me what people think I’m good at.